Roomba News

Finally pulled the plug on the sweet potatoes – dug them all up. They were planted just after the 4th of July, so the better part of 6 months. The last time I picked a few was almost a month ago and they were still on the smallish size. This time there were some monsters along with medium size and small ones but all in all, a good crop that will keep us in potatoes for a couple of months. Sooooooo much lettuce, starting to pick a few cherry tomatoes, and the flow of green bell peppers continues nicely. They’ll be coming on strong for the next month or so – especially if the weather stays so nice – low 80’s projected for the next week or so with an occasional sprinkle. We’re now providing lettuce to friends at Palm Coast bridge club – not just the Crescent City crowd. All the greens/greens we and 10 more of us could handle and within the next two weeks the space made available by picking the sweets, will be repopulated with miscellaneous stuff – probably a red kale and different varieties of cabbage.

Nancy left for her crocheting group and turned on the Roomba, aka mini Nance, while I headed to the garden for some light weeding and picking. I came in about an hour later and noticed that the artificial trees in the living room had been felled and Nance was caught underneath trying to plow herself out to no avail. It seems like every time we use it, a new condition surfaces. Bottom line – don’t leave the house with it running and expect it to fully complete the job. Still, it does a good job picking up sand and dust.

Tina’s surgery came off just fine and she should be coming home today. Her problem is a continuation of the one that occurred on a recent trip to Utah in which she spent several days in a hospital there. Olivia was on the scene and I just know the doc’s and nurses were on their best behavior. She works as a scribe for the same health system so she knows all the questions to ask and how the system works.

Here’s one to ponder. Disney is, without a doubt, a lefty corporation. If you don’t think so just watch ABC News. But, I like the way they solved a particular problem using a traditional right wing solution. They have too much traffic at the Disney theme Park in Orlando so to counter that, they again raised prices – I think $130/per person for a one day pass. What about the poor folks with lots of kids – this will only do more to price them out or make them choose between Disney or groceries.

Back on line (I hope)

Sorry for the posting gap – computer/software issues.

Christmas was fun at Tom’s – an extension of the festivities we’ve been enjoying all month. All the grandkids were home which may not always happen in the future.

Nancy got out of the hospital a few days before the event so it was touch and go as to whether or not we’d make it but she felt fine and we decided to chance it. No problems. We got some really nice things but one thing of particular interest, simply because we’ve been looking at them for years but have never pulled the trigger, a Roomba robot sweeper. Nancy is a real floor nazi and I am forever in the dog house for dragging dirt in the house so perhaps this will relieve my heartburn. With this and the new laptop we bought a week or so back, I’m in high tech purgatory – where nothing is as easy as it seems.

The old mac book was just getting too far behind and starting to cause issues so while we were in Orlando for the graduations, Tom picked up a new mac book Air at the University book store. You would think it would take only a minute or two to bring up the new machine and transfer information but deep down inside you know anything that has to do with computers is fraught with potential disasters. And so it was. One of the casualties was the ability to post blogs updates. The new machine had some kind of problem with Word Press, the blog application. I knew Tom could eventually get it all straightened out – it was just a matter of him finding the time amid all the end of year events going on. I think it’s done. I feel ok not being able to do it myself since it took him several hours of high intensity banging away on the keyboard. But right now I have the new laptop and the desktop mini in sync.

The Roomba also created some heart burn when the first directions involved wi fi and the internet. I told Tom my fall back was to figure a way to attach the Roomba to a broom stick and push it around the house manually. After a call to Roomba land, I learned that it has a totally manual mode (for the technically challenged) and we set it off to clean the house. There are a few traps that we’re now aware of but it did get the job done. For example the showers are a step down from floor level and it fell right in but couldn’t get back out. The first trial was interesting as it wandered around the house doing it’s thing including underneath the beds. When it finished the first pass, I opened it to check the filters. It was chock full of dust and sand- so it does work. A couple days later we set it loose again. We closed the bedroom doors so it wouldn’t do those again but still, after a couple of hours, had a fairly full dirt trap. I think this is going to make Nancy quite happy on a daily basis with only an occasional full manual job.

Great end to the college football season. SEC rules and my gators did the job on Michigan; Simon’s Auburn Tigers downing Purdue. Also Clemson drubbing the feared and dreaded (and over rated) Notre Dame. We don’t have cable out here in the woods so we were forced to visit Persimmon Hollow to watch a couple of the games including the Gator drubbing of Michigan. Way better than cable. UCF put up a valiant fight with LSU but the 25 game winning streak had to come to an end. Losing to LSU was certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Even Utah and even Kentucky prevailed so it was great season for us overall.