Fun week

Had company from California the past few days – the Burmeisters – so we’ve been busy, busy, busy. Managed to squeeze in a party at Tom’s, a trip to Gainesville to see Simon, and a surf fishing trip. Lot’s of fun

On the way home from Gainesville we stopped at a feed store on the road across the forest. I figured that the rat poison we’d get there might be different and more potent than what I’ve been feeding them from ACE hardware. It was definitely different, sort of a bar of poison that is broken into large chunks, as opposed to the small pellets I’ve been using for the past few weeks. Interestingly, it stated in big, bold letters that it was effective on Warfarin resistant Norway rats. One of the two other poisons I’ve been dispensing is loaded with Warfarin so maybe these particular rats have the gene that neutralizes it and this new one will nail them. I missed a couple of days feeding them and then broke out the new stuff. The first night I put out 3 chunks – next morning still had three chunks untouched. What does that tell me? Are they gone? Do they not like the new stuff? On the second night, one of the chunks disappeared; on the third night, all three chunks were gone. So I know I’m feeding something. Haven’t seen any squirrels falling from the trees so…………………
.
The large patch summer planting is done for a few months – both corn and beans in. This will be a real test of the lake bottom muck since I planted both crops in a 2-3” thick layer of the goop. The beans are mix of green and yellow romano beans – a flat Italian variety. I have 5 more tomato plants waiting in the wings to be planted in the next couple of days and that finishes off those. The first ones that hit the garden under the water wall protectors back in January are sporting blossoms and a couple of micro tomatoes so potentially from those on to the ones about to go in, we’ll see the continuous supply of tomatoes I’ve not been able to produce consistently in past years.

A while back I mentioned setting 3 sweet potatoes in a water container to sprout. Those are really looking good and I’m thinking I’ll take the next step on those next week. That is to carefully remove the individual shoots and root them, still in a water vase. When they root, then off to the garden. So within a month, I’ll have both Idaho and sweet potatoes going. I learned last year that as the sweet potatoes grow, I can clip off pieces of the foliage, root them, and start a new plant in the garden. I don’t see any reason why I can’t just keep doing that all summer and have a steady stream of potatoes without an end-of-season overload.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s