Delicious

After a few days the pineapple picked up a bit more yellow so I decided to clean it. Delicious. I’ll leave the second one on the plant for another week then pick, clean and freeze. These two will go into fruit smoothies for a few weeks and the cut off tops will go into the garden for a future crop bringing the total there to eight. I don’t know whether new pineapples grow on the mother plants where I cut these off but suspect they don’t since the plant has put out new side shoots. If I can keep these all alive and producing, I should have pineapples on hand as needed – although none of the ones I put in the garden almost a year ago are showing any signs of producing fruit. They’re staying alive and taking up space in the garden but so far no real action.

Ready to eat
Ready to eat

New phase on the construction project. All of the particle board siding and window are installed. Next step – add exterior corner, window and door framing. They decided on using rough cut cypress for that and we happen to have a great old time saw mill about 45 minutes away. We were able to pick up about half the wood from their stock and ordered the balance for custom cutting and later pickup. About $1000 later we have all the 2×4’s and 2×6’s needed with lengths from 8’ to 16’ . It took a few days and one burnt out table saw for us to make all the 45 degree cuts, and to paint it all. Installation will actually be the easiest part of it – assuming all the cuts are accurate. Getting it all to fit together perfectly requires pretty good carpentry work – way over my pay grade – but George and Garret are absolutely up to it.

Between work at the house and keeping the jungle useable out to the dock takes up about 110% of my time so the garden started looking shabby as plants naturally died off. That process was hastened by a month long stretch of near triple digit heat and a rain deficit of about 90% from normal so I took a couple of days to catch up and get ready for the fall crops. One thing that jumped out at me is that the mystery vine and the sweet potato vines now take up about 25% of the total garden space. It’s hard to believe that the mystery vine originated with one seed from the compost pile so I’m guessing there were more that were hidden from view by the original vine. It’s now sporting a load of blossoms and I actually spotted one tiny, 3” long, melon. It’s green, shaped like a football and has distinct lateral stripes so I’m almost ready to declare it as a watermelon. I’ve bent my pick over the years trying to grow watermelons with zero success so it would be quite ironic if I accidentally produced a crop. If nothing else, when I pull out the vines, I’ll get a full load of compost 3 months later. Ditto the sweet potatoes. Each plant puts out an array of vines which grow longer and longer and even longer. I seem to recall that last time I grew them I swore I wouldn’t do it again – didn’t I?? In a couple of weeks I’m going to work my hands underground where the first ones were planted and see how they’re progressing where it counts.
Going to be a bachelor again next week.

Nancy and a quilting buddy are going on a road trip to North Carolina to explore quilt shops. Her eyesight or lack thereof, doesn’t seem to stop her activities much. She’s just gradually moved toward less challenging designs and every now and then endures the indignity of having to ask me for some pattern reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s