The new Rod scores!

I’ve focused for two days on cleaning the jungle along the lake front by the dock. My usual method is to cut hard and heavy for a few hours one day and then clean up and catch the things I missed on the next day. Today was the second day so I anticipated a lighter work out and completion in about an hour. There were some dead palmetto fronds that I had missed right adjacent to the dock – where the entry way to the dock and the dock intersect to be exact. In order to reach them I had to position myself with one foot on the dock and the other on a stump protruding from the shore and then lean in towards shore. Just as I was stretched out to the max, the stump broke and I went tumbling into the lake, trapped in a 2’x2’ section between the dock and the shore. Naturally I was fully dressed with heavy clothes that I use to protect myself from cuts and insects. The water was armpit deep so it was not obvious how I was going to get out of the predicament. In addition to that, naturally I dropped the clippers in the lake. I thought about trying to swim under the dock to get outside into more open water but with the lake so high, I couldn’t be sure that there was an air space between the lake and the dock so I opted to try to crawl up onto the dock. I somehow managed but it was certainly a thrilling morning. At least the water is warm.

Well the celery experiment crashed. I suspected the seeds were probably too old and I’m going with that. I planted upwards of 50 seeds from two different packs and two different varieties and not the first one germinated. Good sign that the seed was just dead. One of the packs was dated 2013 and stated that the life of the seed was 3 years so…….. I’m trying the root planting method using the root end of a commercially grown, grocery store celery. Nancy cut off all the useable stalks and left me the base with a couple small sprouts popping out in the middle. I planted it in a starter medium, actually where the seeds cratered. I’m a bit dubious, not in the approach but whether it will survive the mid summer heat. I’m keeping it moist and out of the direct sun. We’ll see.

So far 100% on the white sweet potatoes. Even some new growth.

Between Nancy’s doctor office visits this week, I managed to squeeze in a couple of tackle shops to start the search for a new surf rod. I ended up finding one in Deland. I knew I wouldn’t be able to duplicate the old one but I found one that was about 80% and it was priced about half what I was prepared to spend so I jumped on it. Today is Monday, beach Bridge game day for Nancy, so I rigged up the new rod and gave it a field test. Success. A nice whiting. Another Monday ritual that is working out is to use the delayed bake mode on the new stove. We put the meal dujour in the oven and set it to finish cooking just about the time we arrive back home. Works every time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s