The Bad Finger Excuse

Good News! George made it thru the heart procedure just fine. He spent one night in the hospital and was home the next day. The trick now is him to be inactive for a few weeks to avoid damaging the leads again. A tough task for him.

Sorry for the lack of posts. I had an industrial accident at the construction site that messed up a finger that made keyboarding difficult. I banged it hard enough to cause the finger to swell (big time) and the nail to turn black in about an hour. I toughed it out the day it happened but ended up in the emergency room the next morning. They X-ray’d it – no breaks- and burned a hole in the nail to relieve the pressure. That was kind of spectacular when blood spurted about 6”. The pain mostly went away with the pressure relief but the bandage messed up my dexterity.

Christmas went fine. All the grandkids came home for extended stays and we got to see them several times – here at the lake and in Lake Mary. Lot’s of gifts – too many to list for the most part. One in particular I’ll describe later in the post. A season highlight turned out to be a remote controlled bass boat that Tom bought at Bass Pro Shops on Black Friday. It’s a battery powered Bass Tracker model about 18” long and with a control range of 80’. It comes with a connector to attach fishing gear (provided). We attached a small jig and aimed it where I was pretty sure a school of small spec’s inhabited. We all wondered aloud what would happen if a large bass decided to bite instead of the intended panfish target. Not to worry. Spec’s immediately grabbed it and the tussles began. One broke off but we ended up landing 7. It was a hoot watching the boat get dragged around and luckily all were really small. Not a doubt in my mind that a decent size fish, anything over a half a pound, could pull the whole thing out of range of the controller and it would require a poke boat rescue. One fish did manage to get the rig wrapped around a lily pad and required a rescue.

The interesting gift we received was something called Blue Apron. That’s a service that sends pre-packaged meals at the ingredient level to be cooked by the recipient. It’s very gourmet so includes the spices and things that you wouldn’t normally find in a home kitchen. The only thing they assume you have is salt, pepper, and olive oil. Our package included 3 complete meals, a fish based dinner, steak based, and chicken based. Personally I had my doubts that the creations would be something I’d like but I was willing to give it a try. The box arrived and was very nicely packaged in an insulated bag with enough ice to keep it cold/frozen as required. We tried the fish meal first since that was the one I felt most marginal about. It had ingredients such as fresh spinach, freekeh, parsley, cod, a lemon, a garlic bulb and parchment paper. The recipe sheet entitled the dish “Cod en Papillote with Freekeh and Spinach. The ingredients were enough for 2 servings and it was really enough for us. The recipe card is a plastic 8 1/2” x 11” sheet with pictures of each step so it’s very easy to do it right. There’s also a nutrition fact sheet that gives the nutritional details. It took us about 45 minutes to put it all together and cook it. I was really, really surprised how good it was. I’m not wild about cod, cooked spinach, and had never heard of freekeh so my expectations were low. The steak meal is next on the agenda.

We finished the meal about 6PM and Nancy was rinsing the dishes when the water stopped without warning. It was almost dark but I hoofed it up to the well/pump to see if there was anything obvious. It had to happen on a Friday evening. I pressed a reset button on the pump but that did nothing. I then removed the lid covering the contacts. There, laying across the contacts was a lizard. I removed the body and carefully exercised the contacts with a stick – it’s a 220V circuit. It sparked and the pump came to life. Success. About 2 hours later Nancy was filling the bath tub when I heard the distress yell that the water had stopped again. I knew all I had done was eliminate the lizard body and not really cleaned the contacts and had hoped that would be enough to survive until daylight. So I went back up, removed the contact case, and very carefully cleaned the contacts with an emory board – never did throw the breaker so it was hot all the while and occasionally threw off a spark. Nonetheless, when I put it all back together it worked like a world champ. I went out this morning to check it in the daylight and it looked pretty good.

Possible news – Chris might be transferring to Atlanta as District Manager. A slot opens up there in a week or so and he’s probably tossing his hat in the ring. That would be great for us. It’s certainly not a done deal but we’ve got our fingers crossed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s