Creating a Park

Starting another repair project – replacing a couple of rotting planks on the dock. I broke out the tools I thought I’d need and noted that my drill and rotary saw were both purchased from Montgomery Ward for my first remodeling job in 1970. Wonder what I do for a warranty if needed?
Replacing planks sounds easy enough but the problem is that the screws holding down the planks have not lived up to their lifetime warranty so when you go to unscrew them, more often than not they break off. I attacked the first plank and managed to get it removed without too much trouble. The second one was a bit more challenging; not one screw backed out properly. As soon as I put the screw driver on them, the heads spun off. There are no really bad planks left but I’ll still pick up a couple more replacement since it’s looking like I can do the job myself as needed and not have to bother Mark. He replaced a couple a few months back so I think I understand what needs to be done and have all the (old) tools I need.

Today was a major bulk delivery date – I got another 20 yds of wood chips dumped up near the road and George got 20 yds of fill dirt. He asked if he could have it dumped on my property and I was more than happy to oblige. We usually both work from the same piles and don’t get too engaged about ownership. For me, this puts dirt and chips much closer to where I’ll use them, which is a big deal. This pile of chips is about 500’ closer to the spread points than the other load which makes a large difference at the end of the day. My plan is to dump 5 wheel barrow loads, a couple of yards, each day filling in low spots in the jungle alongside the path. Gradually the foreboding jungle look just off the path is starting to take on a “park” look. I want it to look totally natural but not threatening to city folk.

I was drafted by Nancy to thread the needles for one of her sewing machines. This is a monster machine called a serger (maybe it’s surger) with 4 large spools of threads going at one time. The thread paths are almost impossible to follow and requires going thru tiny holes, wrapping around posts, through tiny tubes and finally through the tiniest hole in a needle. Each thread has it’s own pathway but it’s very easy to cross paths such that the thread can be misrouted with disastrous results. We used flashlights, magnifying glasses, special tweezers, and scissors and had to give up in frustration a couple of times. Finally it looked like we had it threaded correctly and it broke a needle. It was an important sewing project so we persisted and eventually got it – on the second day. Personally I would have thrown the machine in the trash or taken one more tool to it – a hammer. It’s 30+ years old but the service guy said it was much, much better than newer machines and not to think about going to a newer model with automatic threading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s