Test Results

This is a photo of the current harvest. The lettuce is a red leaf variety called Danyelle. One of Nancy’s quilt buddies had tried it and bombed out so I inherited the seed. Great variety. That head will last us about 3 days in terms of salad days. Ditto the broccoli which was a heritage variety called Calabrese. I like the taste and it puts out a goodly quantity of side shoots. It’s the tallest of the 5 varieties I’m trying this year which actually makes it easier to pick. The only negative is that it doesn’t hold as long on the plant – turns to flowers more quickly – so you have to stay on top of it. That’s probably a characteristic that’s been bred out of it in the newer varieties. If you look closely, on the right side of the lettuce is a head of cauliflower. Doesn’t show up to well on the white bench.
danyelle-lettuce-etc
I finally moved the Flower Sprouts into the main garden after nursing them from seeds to seedlings in the greenhouse. The plants really seem strong and healthy and made it in the real world overnight. I thought that the plants would be indistinguishable from real Brussels but they have distinctive red/purple stems and leaf veins so no doubting where they’re planted.

This week is a big compost week. We’ve harvested quite a bit in the past month and one of the compost piles is ready for spreading; in fact I’ve spread about 90%, probably 2 CF, in the past few days, since removing the garden covers. That’s not the big job. The current, active pile, the one that’s been receiving all the new input since early December, is chock full. So what I do is pitchfork that pile over to the spot vacated by the compost just spread and shut it down to new inputs. Believe it or not, that will take a couple of hours of heavy going. That pile just cooks for a couple of months, turning it every 3-4 days for aeration. Next I start a brand new fresh batch in the new vacancy. I already have quite a bit of material ready to go, mostly in the form of fallen leaves, and this new pile will be open to all new garden and kitchen input for the next couple of months. I’ll probably spend 4-6 hours on the whole project over the next few days. Great exercise. Based on history, I’ll have a another batch ready for the garden the first part of April and another the first part of June. The top surface of the garden does keep rising as I keep adding new material but there’s always plenty of room for more as the older stuff compresses and settles. Each new layer I put down adds about 4” at the time but settles down to less than half that over the next 6 months or so.

Got the blood test results. My PSA dropped from 4.0 before the cryo procedure to 0.3 now, so all is well in PSA land. If I recall correctly, it’s lower now than it was at the same time after the radiation. Next checkpoint is mid June. My appointment was at 9:00AM and Nancy had an appointment at another doctor, across the street for 10:30. Just enough time between appointments for us to have breakfast at Big Rig. Big Rig is a favorite breakfast/lunch place and has hearty offerings of good stuff. I had to laugh when I looked at the “specials” board today where the main attraction was “Monster Tots, covered in chili and melted cheese”, with a drink for $4.95. I would pay $4.95 just to see a plate of Monster Tots. Wonder if you have to sign a waiver or anything absolving the Rig of any responsibility if you drop over dead from a cholesterol overload.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s