First week report

I’ve completed the first week of radiation treatments and can report that I am still not glowing in the dark. I checked under the sheets last night. Every Monday I meet with the doctor basically to report on any problems I may be experiencing. I have none so the meeting was very short. I am homing in on the trick of arriving with my bladder “comfortably full”. A couple of days I overshot into the uncomfortably full zone. I was waiting my turn and felt that the safe move was to relieve a little pressure and hit the bathroom. There they have giant signs that say “be sure to get your treatment with a full bladder”. So I was intimidated to hang in there and take the risk. Where I have arrived is that 2 cups of coffee and a bowl of cereal about an hour before works just fine. Add 8 ounces of water (as I did the first two times) and it crosses over into painful! The only side affect I’m experiencing is that I feel like I’m back at work. I have to set the alarm, get up, get a shower, shave, get dressed with real clothes, have something to eat and then drive to the office – via carpool. No kidding, it came back just like I’d never retired. I didn’t report this to the doc as a side affect – he wouldn’t understand.

Nancy asked me about my carpool – all kinds of questions about my co-riders. It’s a standard guy kind of carpool. Everybody is there a bit early, we hop in the vehicle and ride 20 minutes in total silence. One guy is talkative and tries to engage anyone he can in a conversation but after about 5 minutes of nothing but nods and grunts, he properly gives up and leaves us in silent contemplation. I can only imagine a female carpool under the same circumstances.

And the garden completed it’s first week. I’m amazed at the speed with which it’s growing and at the seed germination rate. I’m used to gardening in Utah and things happen more slowly in the early part of the season. The first bean and corn seeds pooched thru in only 4 days and by the first week mark were at nearly 100%. The squash seeds took a few days longer but were 100% gernimated in 7 days. The tomato and brocolli plants have literally doubled in size in a week. The weather has been perfect with highs in the low 80’s, lows in the low 60’s and abundant sunshine. So far no critter attacks although there have been a couple of rabbit sightings and George reported seeing a large racoon in the general vicinity of the garden last night.

Nancy’s cousin Fred and Martha visited this past week from California. I was a little concerned that my daily trips to the center would mess us up but I’m home before 11AM, about the time things get started so it worked out fine. Fred and I bagged a good number of bass off the dock; Nancy and Martha bagged a few quilt shops. Most of the bass were in the 2-4 lb range but I think I had a rematch with the giant I caught when Joanne visited a few months back. He took the bait in exactly the same spot, jumped the same and headed off to the weeds. I managed to turn him and pull him out of the grass but he shot over to the ladder on the dock and thru the rungs. I knew it was all over then and sure enough he broke or rather cut the line on the ladder. So the score with that lady is one to one. I need to try for best of out 3.

We did the Human Body exhibit at the Orlando Science Center. Wow!! If you haven’t seen it, do. It’s an exhibit of human bodies and body parts that have been plasticized so that you can see things you have only wondered about. Like most people I had an idea where the body parts are located, the relative sizes and shapes, and how it all interconnected. I was wrong about so much that it’s embarrassing. Some parts, like the heart, are much smaller than I’d guessed while the liver is much bigger and more complex. Ever wondered what the inside of your kidneys looks like? Visualize a living coral reef with all those filter feeder plant like critters and you have a good idea of how the kidney filters. Every bone, vein, artery, organ -they’re are all out there. I was most interested in seeing exactly where my current problem resides and seeing exactly where the colectomy happened. It was just different than I had imagined.

2 thoughts on “First week report

  1. Very cool. I can’t wait to have a day off to go see that exhibit. How much did it cost and how long did it take to get through? Do you need reservations?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s